September 14, 2009

Lab 2: The “shock & awe” of Internet tools

This week’s lab was originally going to occur outside but due to the rain we were forced to stay inside and learn more about the Internet programs we will be using for this class.

These tools are:

1. http://www.public.online.ksu.edu/


This is probably the most familiar website for KSU students and is used to post lecture notes, grades, assignments, e-mail announcements to students, etc. I like this site, its easy to use and is a central location for everything that I need to have for class.


Day 1 after 2 hours


2. http://www.netvibes.com/


This site can be used as a hub for additional websites. Once, the teacher explained what this site could do for me I was excited to hear about it. However, there were multiple problems with getting the site to work to my satisfaction (no it still is not to my satisfaction but its closer).

The first hurdle was trying to figure out how to get websites that are not already a widget (like pandora.com, blogspot.com, or diigo.com). After multiple unsuccessful attempts I discovered the “website widget” which allows you to insert websites.

I'm still having problems signing into several websites from my home netvibes page and I'm still working in multiple tabs which I was hoping to do away with.


The start of my private page

3. http://www.ent612.wetpaint.com/

We have not done much with this site other than update our profile and “look around.” However, again there was a problem with using netvibes.com. Once I figured out how to get this site on netvibes (see below for how to do this if interested), I then had problems signing on to the site through netvibes so that I could edit my profile. I resorted to opening another tab and working through there and then going back to netvibes. At some point, I managed to get the widget on netvibes to log me in and now I can work on netvibes instead of in a new window. Unfortunately, I have NO IDEA how I did it so please don't ask.

4. http://www.twitter.com/

No problems with the site other than personal ones, however, placing the widget on netvibes.com and trying to figure out how to tweet and send direct messages to the teacher was not a user friendly experience.



The start of Day 2- revitalized & plugged into http://pandora.com/

5. http://www.diigo.com/

This site is used to collect information found on the Internet in one place. Additionally, you can highlight important passages and post notes on the bookmarked sites. However, you have to download their toolbar in order to successfully use this tool. I had to agree to multiple security overrides in order to download the toolbar and install it on my laptop. Since, I don't have permission to download programs on my work computer and I don't carry my laptop everywhere I go this software is not what I would consider user friendly. Additionally, I rarely use the Internet for ANY type of research. The only exception to this is when I'm required to for a class and then I tend to do the minimum Internet search required and for the bulk of the assignment use books and journals that I find through the library.

6. http://www.youtube.com/

This site has allows you to post videos for people to see. I had the same problems with using this site on netvibes as mentioned. In addition, I can NOT get the videos embedded on this site. I was hoping that this was just a network problem but I’m using a different network today and I still can’t get it to work even though I followed the teachers’ verbal instructions. I guess when I have time I will watch the video that the teacher put together to explain how to embed. So here are a couple of links with some videos that I found that I hope that you enjoy.

Not educational but VERY funny and I needed the laugh so check it out! (Ladybug Dance).

Educational video especially if you have never seen an adult ladybug eat an insect ; )


7. http://www.blogspot.com/

I think that I have successfully set up my blog and so far I have no problems with posting or editing pages. However, I still have not figured out a good way to label the photos but I may come up with something and then share it.

Day 2 after 4 hours

Experience Rating:


So, I'm going to rate this experience based on what the instructor said on the first day, “I wouldn't use these tools if they didn't make my life easier” since I too follow this general philosophy. In general, these tools DO NOT make my day-to-day life any easier and frankly they added quite a bit of frustration. I have spent more hours than I care to admit in trying to figure out how to get these tools to work for me which was part of the assignment for this blog. Overall, I had a positive experience with two of these sites, one was so-so, and the others were negative.

2 comments:

  1. Original comments posted to diigo:

    Unfortunately, when a student leaves KSU, this tool is no longer available to them or is of value. Hence, a teacher that forces his students to experience new platforms, thus familiarizing themselves with new environments and forcing new opportunities to problem-solve. Isn't it grand?! :)

    Did you try adjusting the layout of the page? Are you referring to multiple tabs within netvibes or the web browser? More info might help me understand your issue with netvibes.

    Just to clarify with others in the group. You are not required to setup a netvibes account for the class. There is a definite learning curve to this site, but with a some trial and error you can make it work for your needs. For the class, I just want you to use netvibes as a central hub, which can be found at http://www.netvibes.com/bmccornack" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">www.netvibes.com/bmccornack.

    Thanks for catching that. I'll post a video on how to get around this feature. I thought it was "easy" to use the program without the toolbar, but I was on a machine where the toolbar was installed! I often right-click to access additional tools and didn't realize that these tools were only available unless the toolbar program was installed. I'll have additional info up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an interesting point about KSU On-line which sort of lends support to why I like it. It serves its purpose while I'm here at KSU. In addition, once I'm gone I will still have access to many of KSU services as a 2x alumnus. One of which is the KSU library and the other being ISIS (I'll actually still have KSU on-line but I won't be taking classes); I just have to maintain my KSU EID (this is why I have such a weird e-mail {this is from back in the day when undergraduates were not allowed to use their name as their eid}).

    My point about the web-tools you have us working with is that they are a pain to try to trouble shoot while trying to complete the assignments in the amount of time that you give us. Some of the tools like wetpaint seem to be a great idea but I'm still trying to figure out how to get around issues like image size (which I don't decide I let the site do what its programed to do) and formating of the page. Although, I will admit that I will only allow 6-10 hours for each bug byte so if it takes me 6 hours to find all the text content then there is only 4 hours left for everything else.

    Perhaps when you teach this class again you could provide two weeks for students to put together a page related to the class (an example could be what do you want to learn in IPD?) but which allows them to play with font, image size, and layouts. Then, they may have less problems when it's time for the bug byte assignments. You could do the same Diigo (students- bookmark & highlight; you- show them what you see on your page) & blogspot (intro blog sort of like the one I did). Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete