October 12, 2010

Country Livin'

Originally I planned on writing about the odd places that my indoor cats sleep but then I had an interesting 24 hours so I thought I would blog about that and include some country livin' pictures.

My interesting 24 hours began on Friday evening. I drove with my friend Ju-lin to Cottonwood falls to attend a singles event (Singles in Agriculture). Ju-lin took some pictures of the beautiful countryside on our way there.



Once we arrived in Cottonwood falls , I spent about 20 minutes driving around because I didn't map quest the location of the Emma Chase Cafe. I successfully found the Cafe and we stretched out legs before looking in the window. All of the people were elderly (60+) but after some debate and general talking myself into it I thought I would attempt to meet these singles. We walked and were greeted by the owner of the cafe she asked what she could do for us and I said I was looking for Sue. She said, "I'm Sue," so I proceeded to talk to her like I had already talked to her. Turns out she wasn't the "SIA Sue" I had previously spoke to; the "SIA Sue" was literally sitting right next to me during my entire conversation with "Owner Sue" but never said a word (NOT ONE)! So we ordered some food and after some private investigation (looking around and being observant) I noticed the "SIA Sue" name tag as she was leaving the Cafe. We decided to try the Emma Chase Music Hall down the street and we enjoyed some bluegrass music by the local musicians. I attempted to talk to the "SIA Sue" but luck; she wouldn't make eye contact and every time I tried to say something to her she gathered her group around her and would start talking to them (I eventually gave up and drove Ju-lin back to Manhattan and did some late night work in the lab).

Here is a picture of the Cottonwood Falls Courthouse.



On my way home from Manhattan (1 am on Saturday), I saw two opossums, one raccoons, and one doe close to the road (all living). (I took the below picture Saturday night out by "my" house)



The following afternoon (around 3 pm) my rural mail carrier stopped by after her mail rounds and on her way home to ask me about a yellow lab that is two sections (approximately 2 miles) behind where I live. She stayed to talk about her horses and jerks traveling to fast down dirt roads (a UPS semi drove by her car and kicked up a rock and broke her back window).

After she left, I decided I should get myself together and drive to Council Grove to pick up some weatherization supplies from Adams Lumbar. Here is a picture of one of the steel-works on the 177 highway into Council Grove (Ju-Lin took this picture for me on Friday)


Before I left, I decided to stop at Dairy Queen and reward myself with breaded, fried mushrooms; a fish sandwich; and a moolate (cappuccino flavored). While, I was hanging out by the drinking station waiting for my order, a gentleman with a Kansas wildlife and parks hat on said "hello" to me. I responded and just when I turned around to ask him a question he spilled fluid down the front of his shirt and was trying to clean himself off and one of the DQ employees called my number so I decided to just take my food and go.
I finished my evening with a trash burning.



By using the flash, you can see the details (including two of Too Many's kittens; Can you find both of them?).



By the way, the kittens are starting to follow me around the property but a more detailed version of their exploits is scheduled for another blog so be on the look out for it.
Have you had an interesting 24 hours you would like to share?









2 comments:

  1. The photo of the moon is the most amazingly beautiful gradation of night sky colors I've seen!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- I have been working on improving my photography skills; my hope is to one day have a camera with filters and interchangable zoom pieces but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing first :)

    ReplyDelete