December 7, 2010

Where did that girl go?

I think I'm going to give up on apologizing for the lack of consistency with my blog. You all know that I'm a busy graduate student which means I don't have much time for “fun” activities.

So, since I last blogged, I have been teaching one section of General Entomology Lab, sitting on a committee for a faculty and student diversity award, working on more SAS GLIMMIX analysis (which I despise and find frustrating) which is for one of my manuscripts, writing/ updating my PhD proposal, and trying to get my PhD proposal meeting set up so I can get my new program of study approved which will allow me to perform the last necessary research experiments for my defense. Last week, I had the misfortune of getting the flu which meant lots of unwanted quality time in my bathroom and losing six pounds which I can afford to lose (the benefit of being a big girl). Additionally, having the flu meant another year where I missed the holiday gathering with my stitch-and-bitch sisters (ARGH!!!).

However, one of my friends is graduating and accepted a job in Switzerland! Yea, she has invited me to come visit her and her husband if I can get away. Additionally, she has to get rid of all of her furniture so she asked if there was anything I need. YES, I see a couch, a big persons bed (she has a king), a blender, another bookcase, did I mention a blender (can you tell that I am most anxious to obtain another blender- I miss my old one and the new one is mostly for smoothies), and possibly some other kitchen utensils in my future. I'm so pumped about the prospect of new furniture that I rearranged the living room (not that there is much to rearrange) to accommodate a new couch. I had another friend offer me a couch but I never moved anything since it didn't seem like a couch was really going to be moved to my living room.

I missed Thanksgiving holiday time with the DeLegges in Wisconsin due to being told to spend my break “working on my manuscript.” I spent lots of time fighting with GLIMMIX and no time writing the actually manuscript. Maybe someday I can actually work on writing instead of staring at SAS output with errors! However, I did get to spend Thanksgiving with a friends parents. We had a nice lunch at a local restaurant and then I went to their home where we talked. My friends mom gave me ideas on how to build my first quilt which inspired me to buy a new sewing machine since mine needs some work on it before I can use it.

The cats continue to struggle with the existence of Pandora but they generally get along by staying out of each others way. Occasionally, Pandora and Tzani have issues but it's generally Pandora and Woudin. Pictures of life with Pandora are coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment