December 30, 2010

Country Living Randomness

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with their family, friends, and other loved ones. I had a great time with my friend, Anne's family. It was nice to be able to monopolize the kitchen for coffee and conversation. We even went for a walk down a trail back behind her parents house, it was a little bit chilly but quite nice to walk, talk, and look at plants. I didn't take photos so I looked through my photos and found a few I hadn't shared yet. All of these photos were taken some time during the summer.

The below picture is a common scene out in the country but I like it all the same; I call it “birds on a wire” not very original, I admit but very descriptive.

I found this egg on the pavement, it looks almost perfect but it is cracked. It was quite a ways from a tree but I know some birds lay eggs in the grass and it wasn't too far from the ditch. I thought it was an odd shaped rock until I took a closer look- it certainly is well camouflaged.

This is the hibiscus plant that Anne left me since she had three. I love this picture, its in full bloom. I managed to get it to bloom three or four times over the summer and then I neglected it so it became way to dry. Fortunately, it is still alive but it is definitely in recovery phase.


One day, I was walking and saw this by the roadside. It startled me until I took a closer look.


Did you figure it out? It's a cow leg; I had the fortune of being able to see the hoof attached to the leg but initially I though it was a human leg and that I was going to have to call the police.

On one of my walks I found this fantastic tree.


Does the tree remind you of anything? Anything at all? Well, the first time I saw the tree my thought was “its a treeherder.” For those of you unfamiliar with that term, how about "ent?"

All right, I will put those of you who are unfamiliar with The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Tolkien out of your misery. The tree reminds me of the giant talking man-trees from the books and the movies. I have been waiting for snow so I could take a picture of it covered with snow but no such luck. Maybe this weekend, the weather people are threatening us with a chance of snow. Really? but it's 64 (yes, I said it) 64 degrees in Kansas, in December. Every time I think about the fact that we have a cold front moving in, I'm thinking Tornado in December (well I haven't seen one of those so maybe)!

No comments:

Post a Comment