July 2, 2010

Help.............. there are flowers in "my" yard

As many of you know, I love flowers (they are pretty and smell nice), however, I'm not as educated about names, care, and identification (weed vs. flower).

So, in order to educate myself and some of you and to fulfill part of my "renters" agreement, I have taken some photos of flowers that are around the property and now I need help identifying the flowers and then I can talk about the care of said plant (likely talk about bugs that will eat and/or destroy the plant). Have no fear there will be many such posts (my "landlord" has planted many beautiful flowers).

First of all, what are the parts of a flower. Well, I can remember the petals and stamen from biology "101" but I can't remember much else. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one that needs a refresher. So, I found a picture and I'm sharing it with you.


Parts of a flower


So, now that we know what the flower parts are lets start down this journey of identifying plants in "my" yard:

Flower #1 is a tall plant with a single flower which consists of white petals and a yellow center.

Now this looks like a daisy to me, however, when I went searching for photos I couldn't find a photo that matched this one. This leads me to believe that either I'm wrong and this flower is NOT a daisy, I have really bad photo taking skills, or this is a daisy but it's a rare and unusual variety. Hopefully the experts will let us know what it is but in the meantime you can find more information on daisies by clicking on the highlighted daisy words!



Flower #2 has a short bloom stalk with pink petals with a yellow edge around the base of the petals on the inside of the flower.





This looks like a Day lily to me and when I looked up pink day lily I found a cool website of a day lily garden in Connecticut which has a lacy pink day lily which looks similar to this one. However, I will let you be the judge of it's actual identification.

Flowers #3 and 4 also look like day lilies and given the pictures from the day lily garden, I'm going to say that day lily is the correct identification.







And to end this flower session with a slideshow of flowers and insects accompanied by one of my favorite "oldies!"

2 comments:

  1. The first one is a Old Court Variety Shasta Daisy and the rest are various daylilies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! Aren't you glad that apparently when you were talking to me about the flowers- I WAS listening. I guess your getting me "learned" up on them there flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete