September 15, 2012

Vacation Part I: Sheldon Art Museum

Yesterday, I decided to spend my afternoon before my godson's wedding checking out an art museum and a historic cemetery. Since I had to upgrade to a more expensive motel in order to bring the "babies" I decided to go for thrifty i.e. "free!" The Sheldon Art Museum is free so off I went to brave downtown Lincoln. It was fairly easy to find the museum following MapQuest instructions and parking was easy to find. All the meters were covered to state there was no parking on Saturday, game day. The museum is located in the campus of Nebraska State. Signs were posted appropriately and there was a big head on the steps leading up to the museum.

Unfortunately, three fifths of their galleries were closed due to exhibit transitions. However, two of the galleries contained part of their permanent collection. They had pieces of art from several different time periods. Some of which I found more interesting in others. There were several oriental styled collage media paintings which I liked very much. They, also, had an Eisner on display. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of the pieces I liked in the form of a postcard or a book on their permanent pieces. I decided to check out the back of the museum for more sculptures. I found this women in a box which I thought was interesting.

I walked around the building and found a sunken area with a fountain. On the wall behind the fountain was this "sculpture." I took the picture and then approached the plaque which told me this was a piece of a banister from New Orleans.

Here is a close up on the detail of the banister.

As I was leaving the museum I thought I would take a walk a block over to take a closer look at a sculpture I had seen. Here is the front view.

Here is the back view of the sculpture. If you look closely you will see a black man in a cookie monster tee-shirt. He told me he was having a hard time being good because there are all these beautiful women around and I was one of them. Really, that's the best you can do? I digress.

There are two additional pieces with this installation. They are marked wife's lt and rt elbow. I couldn't find a good spot to take the whole installation; maybe I should have played with my panoramic but I was anxious to go to the cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment